Two Mberengwa minors die as hut catches fire

SIBONGUTHANDO DUBE

MIRROR REPORTER

MBERENGWA-Two siblings aged five and two were burnt to death on Sunday last week after being left alone at home at Madhafu Village, Chief Nyamhondo in Mberengwa.

Junior Dube (2) and Devine Mpala (5) were burnt beyond recognition when their parents left them alone at home and went to a market for shopping. 

Mberengwa Ward 21 councillor Naiphet Basela Chauke confirmed the matter to The Mirror.  He also said that another sibling Natasha Dube managed to escape the fire unharmed. 

Chauke also said that the children have since been buried.

Efforts to get a comment from the grieving parents were futile.

“The children were playing in an abandoned hut and we suspect that they were playing with fire.  Mataga Police attended the scene. One of the children escaped unharmed but is traumatized. 

“We urge parents not to leave their children unattended and keep them off flammable liquids, gas lighters, electricity and matches for their safety,” said Chauke.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.