Type to search

Serial Gutu rapist in court

Crime Latest

Serial Gutu rapist in court



MASVINGO – Regional Magistrate Bishard Chineka has remanded an alleged Gutu serial rapist and robber who severely assaulted his victims and left them for dead in custody to June 7, for trial.
Edmore Vangana (38) of Musimudzanwa Village under Chief Chitsa struck his victims unconscious using logs, raped them and left them for dead.
He stabbed one woman with a knife on the hands and legs several times before raping and stealing from her. He also severely assaulted another woman using a log on the ankles and knees to immobilize her.
Vangana who is believed to have been released from prison under the Presidential amnesty last year was arrested on May 14 for rape and attempted murder charges.
Court documents state that he allegedly confessed to raping and severely assaulting three other women during Police indications.
Masvingo Police Spokesperson, Inspector Kudakwashe Dhewa said the number of victims who have since reported rape, assault and theft cases now exceeds 14 since his arrest.
“His matter is before the courts and I cannot comment on an ongoing case. What I can only say is that more women and theft victims have filed cases against him,” said Dhewa.
Chief Chitsa of Gutu born Nyika Chibvongodze even pleaded with Police to arrest him after he received multiple complaints from villagers. He estimated that the number of cases against Vangana can rise to 30.
Vangana left his first victim for dead on February 28, 2024. He attacked the woman (name withheld) after she disembarked from a bus at Dokota Primary School in Bhasera. He allegedly grabbed and dragged her into a bush, stabbed her several times on the hands and legs before raping her and stealing her mobile phone. He left her unconscious. The woman later regained consciousness and filed a Police report.
He stole two solar panels from Stanley Dzivaguru (42) of Chinyika Business Centre. The solar panels were recovered by Police detectives during indications.
Vangana attacked another woman on March 17 around 10 am. He allegedly struck her on the head with a log, sexually assaulted her and stole her cellphone before disappearing.
On the next day he ambushed a woman who was on her way to work at 7 am. He allegedly struck her twice on the head and severely hit her ankles and knees before he raped her. After the act, he went away with her mobile phone and a brown handbag containing money and her particulars.
His last recorded crime happened on March 29, when he attacked a mother who was carrying her infant child. Vangana allegedly tried to strike the baby but the mother used her body as a shield.
The incident happened in the Chinyika area around 7 pm. Vangana struck the mother on the shoulder, sexually abused her and stole her mobile phone before disappearing into the night.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Enjoy our stories? Please spread the word: