Type to search

Renco Mine workers case goes to Labour Court

Crime Latest

Renco Mine workers case goes to Labour Court

Share

BRILLIANT MUKARO

Mirror Reporter

MASVINGO – Some 1 800 Renco Mine workers returned to work yesterday after management took them to the Labour Court on allegations that the strike is illegal.

The case will be heard today and a workers’ spokesperson told The Mirror that they will return to the trenches if the court ruling is not in their favour.

The strike has been running since April 1, 2022. Renco Mine is accusing the workers for failing to follow procedure by not giving a 14-day-notice before going on strike.

Renco general manager Tsungirirai Dube refused to comment when contacted by The Mirror.

“No comment,” Dube said then switched off his mobile.

The strike was triggered by a bonus given to workers in December last year but not paid until today. The workers cited drastic erosion of the bonus value due to inflation. The workers also complained against unsafe working conditions.

Brighton Chikanya the worker’s spokesperson said workers’ representatives left for Harare yesterday to hear the company’s case and the judgement. He said the workers were ready to go back on strike depending on the court outcome.

The company also seeks an order to forfeit salaries for the 23 days that the workers were on strike.

“If the outcome of the court is in our favour then we will resume work but if it is not we will go back on strike. We are not going to give up until the company learns respect for workers’ rights,” said Chikanya.https://masvingomirror.com/

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error

Enjoy our stories? Please spread the word: