Eyebrows raised as council offices catch fire ahead of audit

Ellen Mlambo


CHIPINGE – Eyebrows were raised today when the registry office at Chipinge Town Council caught fire ahead of an external audit put on hold because of the Covid19 pandemic.

Chipinge Council chairman, Zivanai Nyakuchena laughed off speculation doing the rounds that the fire was an attempt to destroy documents ahead of the audit.

He said the fire started when a sanitizer container fell spilling liquid on an electric socket. He said a few documents in a shelf were burnt but they are not important at all. He also said that an officer received some burns on the leg.

Nyakuchena said the incident occurred around 2 pm.

“A sanitizer container fell and spilled on a connected adapter and there was a spark of fire that burnt some files on a shelf. It is only one shelf that was burnt and the fire bridgade managed to stop the fire,” said Nyakuchena.

Nyakuchena confirmed that there is a pending external audit. He said this audit should have been conducted last year but this did not happen because of the lockdown. https://masvingomirror.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error

Enjoy our stories? Please spread the word: