Type to search

Chipinge to wipe out water deficit this month

Local News

Chipinge to wipe out water deficit this month

Share

ELLEN MLAMBO
CHIPINGE TIMES REPORTER

CHIPINGE – The upgrade of Chipinge town water reticulation system being carried out by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in partnership with Chipinge Town Council at a cost of US$1,9 million will be completed at the end of this month, Chipinge Times has been told.
The critical project will see Chipinge increasing its water supply from 5 to 10Mega litres. The current demand is 9 Mega litres and this will leave the small agricultural town with excess supply.
Chipinge town chairman, Kingstone Dhlumo confirmed the progress in a telephone interview with Chipinge Times and said that the project is 95% complete with the remaining 5% work expected to be complete by end of this month.
The project which is being funded by the African Development Bank (ADB) began in October 2022.
Chipinge Town Council acting spokesperson, Fungai Mutapati said the completed work includes pump house construction and installation, 500 mm parallel water pipeline laying from the water treatment plant to the Kabanga booster station and installation of air release and scour valves, construction and testing of the Aerodrome water reticulation works, upgrading of water treatment plant through construction of a new clear well and rapid sand filter and town tanks rehabilitation.
He said Gaza A sewer reticulation works, communal septic tank and soak away construction is ongoing and the rehabilitation of existing filter unit has not yet been started.
“Council is supplying 5 mega litres per day against the demand of 9 mega litres. Upon completion of this project, we will be able to supply 10 mega litres per day and this will address the water woes,” said Mutapati.
The project will benefit about 35 000 Chipinge residents. Chipinge has perennial water problems with high density areas going for days without tap water.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error

Enjoy our stories? Please spread the word: