Another Chiredzi house goes up in smoke

Increase Gumbo
CHIREDZI – The failure by Chiredzi Town Council to provide a fire tender has seen yet another house in the sugarcane town going up in smoke.
It is barely a month after a teacher lost his property after a fire and residents are blaming their local authority for not prioritizing fire tenders in the town budgets.
Granny Evelyn Jerera’s house at 661A Cheruwa Road caught fire on Saturday and she lost almost all her property. What made the situation worse is that there was not even tap water in the suburb and residents could not render any help.
Tongaat Hulett, the sugar processing company dispatched its fire tender but it was late when it arrived because a lot of damage had been done. The value of property lost is still to be ascertained.
Acting Chiredzi Town Council Secretary, Wesley Kauma said council is in the process of purchasing its own fire tender.
“I left my house at around 11am on Saturday for a church service. A few hours later, I received a call from one of my neighbours telling me that my house had caught fire,” she said.
“Neighbours tried to put off the fire but there was no water and they could therefore do very little”, said Jerera.
“We saw smoke coming out of Gogo Jerera’s house and we broke the windows as we tried to put out the fire. We tried our best but there was no water in the taps and we relied on the little water we had stored for use,” said Roorai Manangagwa, a neighbour.
“We have submitted papers for a fire tender to Ministry of Local Government and if approved these will be sent to the Ministry of Finance for financing,” said Kauma.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error

Enjoy our stories? Please spread the word: