CHIVHU – Seven Nharira families in Chikomba District have lost property worth thousands of dollars after a fire started by people preparing fields for the next rain season swept through a village.
Whole gum tree plantations and gardens were destroyed by the fire.
Miriam Moyo of Gwekwerere Village lost 13 bags of maize, two television sets, three bags of cement and a sewing machine.
She like some of her colleagues are now appealing to well-wishers for food and money to rebuild their houses.
EMA provincial spokesperson Astas Mabwe re-emphasised that people are not allowed to start fires outside their homesteads after July 31 of each year. He says the rate of veld fires is alarming this year in Mash East.
“People should not start veld fires outside their residential area after July 31 of every year. We encourage villagers to make fire guards to avoid such losses,” said Mabwe
The villagers expressed concern that those who started the fire are not going to be arrested and hence there is deterrence for would-be offenders.
Mabwe said he was going to visit the affected Nharira community for investigations and make sure that the offenders are punished.